Tuesday 20 November 2007

An Excerpt...

The following entry starts mid-thought because it is an actual entry from my personal blog, however all the pertinent details are still intact... I hope

On my way in, there were a couple of gentlemen discussing religion, a subject of interest to me; so I eve dropped. One of the gents quoted something which resonated with me. Curious, I introduced myself and asked for more information, to which he informed that the quote is from Gospel according to Thomas from the Coptic Gospels.

After a little research I learned that the Coptic Gospels are, if I understand them correctly, dialogues between Thomas and as well as some of Christ's "sayings". I always knew not all the gospels were included in the Bible, these, apparently, were one of them. After very little digging, I found the quote:

Whether you look under the stone or within the split wood, God is there.

The reason this struck a chord with me is because, in my mind, it encapsulate the omnipresence of God elegantly and I can see why the Roman Catholic church discarded it. In essence, it implies one does not need a church/temple/mosque/synagogue or what have you, in which to worship and dispels the concept of hallowed or consecrated ground as the whole planet is already such.
If only the religious right could figure this and take cleaning up the planet more seriously.

No comments: