Thursday 13 December 2007

Outright ban of Scientology in Germany

German officials want Church of Scientology banned in the country

BERLIN — Top German officials announced Friday that they will seek to outlaw the U.S.-based Church of Scientology.

The announcement came after a two-day conference of interior ministers of Germany's 16 states well as federal Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble.

Berlin Interior Minister Erhart Koerting, who presided over the two-day conference, told reporters that Scientology is an organization that is not compatible with the German constitution.

The German government considers Scientology not a religion but a commercial enterprise that takes advantage of vulnerable people, he added.

The ministers said the planned to ask Germany's domestic intelligence agency to begin preparing the necessary information to ban Scientology.

The agency has had Scientology under observation for a decade on allegations that it “threatens the peaceful democratic order” of the country.



This is a tough one for me. Although I don't agree with the principles of Scientology / Dianetics, I don't see how any modern nation's constitution can disallow its citizens to practice anything of this nature.

Granted, I can see how anyone would draw issue with a "religious" institution that charges its "congregation" for salvation. And yes I can see how Scientology can be regarded as a money making endeavour,but couldn't the same be said about self-help "gurus" such as Tony Robbins who charge for their endless library of books, cassettes, CDs & DVDs? True, he doesn't tout himself as a religion, and I'm sure he doesn't receive the same tax breaks and benefits that most religious organisations do, but I'm sure you can still buy his media in Germany.

I can see a government refusing to recognise Scientology as a religion and disallowing many of the privileges that religious organisations enjoy. But to ban it outright seems more than just a little dictatorial.

4 comments:

Nhi said...

"Scientology is an organization that is not compatible with the German constitution."

Replace "Scientology" with "Judaism" and we've effectively lost any progress over the last half century.

Not that I agree with Scientology. Whackos. ;-)

2Shay said...

Replace "Scientology" with "Judaism" and we've effectively lost any progress over the last half century.

I'm sorry Nhi, I don't understand.

2Shay said...

A little delayed - but now I get it. An excellent point Nhi!

Nhi said...

I don't even remember this post, much less commenting on it!

But I do believe in Tom Cruise's right to be crazy....