Saturday 9 June 2007

Connery Says Never Again

Connery bows out of Indiana film.

Sir Sean Connery has announced that he will not be playing Harrison Ford's father in the next Indiana Jones film.

"If anything could have pulled me out of retirement, it would have been an Indiana Jones film," the 76-year-old said in a statement on its website.

"But in the end, retirement is just too damned much fun," he continues.


Indiana Jones is the second film Sir Sean has opted not to partake in - the first being the iconic role of Ganfalf the wizard in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He cites not understanding the role Gandalf for dismissing it; but his recent decision on Indy 4 baffles me. Of course, it's his prerogative to accept or reject any role he wishes, and to stay in retirement. However, and maybe this is just a fan speaking, I had hoped that he would reprise the role of Dr. Henry Jones Sr. for a few reasons.
  • It would make his rationale for abstaining from Lord of the Rings more credible. If he knew in his heart of hearts that he was indeed permanently retired, a simple, "Thanks, but no thanks, I'm out of the business would have sufficed when turning down Gandalf the Grey.
  • I'm a devout fan of the Indiana Jones franchise and the introduction of Indy's dad in the most recent installation added a whole new dimension to the character of Indiana Jones which the film makers will now be limited to explore.
  • Finally, I am a great enthusiast of Sir Sean Connery himself. I've enjoyed his work since I was a child watching him on mission after mission and the original super secret agent 007. Being the fan that I am, I really hated seeing Mr. Connery end his near fifty year career on such a sour note as "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" - a film that sounded great on paper but was so horribly executed. Connery deserved a far better exit which Indy 4 would have handily provided.

No comments: