Saturday 26 January 2008

1/2 of Caribbean Coral Reefs died in the last year



This just breaks my heart. While I was in Kenya on '05 I picked up my PADI. It was the first time I had been able to go down, up to thirty feet, (up until this point, I was limited to snorkelling and glass-bottomed boats) and see the East African coral reef in all its glory. I was astounded. It has been said that you can see more life in the coral reef in ten minutes than you can see in a tropical rainforest in ten days.

Kenya's coral reefs had been dwindling due to poaching; fortunately, the Kenya government were smart enough to realise that Kenya's bread and butter was vanishing off the ocean floors and banned any kind of poaching from collecting shells and starfish to fishing. I am happy to say that Kenya's coral reefs are in the midst of a resurgence. But now it seems all those effort will have been for naught. After having seen all the beauty the ocean has to offer, there is no other way to put this other than - Hearbreaking

No comments: