Sunday 27 January 2008

Quoting... Atheists

Atheism: A non-prophet organization.
- George Carlin

Which is it, is man one of God’s blunders or is God one of man’s?
- Frederich Nietzsche

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
- Albert Einstein

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
- Mohandas K. Gandhi

It ain’t those parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

If you gave Falwell an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox.
- Christopher Hitchens

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
- Karl Marx (Always thought the quote was "Opiate of the masses")

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
- George Bernard Shaw

You’re basically killing each other to see who’s got the better imaginary friend.
- Richard Jeni

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.
- Delos B. McKown

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
- Unknown

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

There’s a phrase we live by in America: “In God We Trust”. It’s right there where Jesus would want it: on our money.
- Bill Maher

If I thought the Jews killed God, I’d worship the Jews.
- Bill Hicks

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
- Isaac Asimov

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you have some authoritative source for the attribution of the ""Is He willing to prevent evil.." quote to Epicurus. I've seen it attributed also to David Hume. I'm trying to track it down.

2Shay said...

Thank you for drawing my attention to said quote Marvin. After a bit of digging, if I have my facts correct, I think I can see where the confusion arises. Hume addresses Epicurus' question in Dialogues

The most "authoritative" source I have come across seemed to be The Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy. Scroll down to section five, "The Problems of Evil"

Anonymous said...

Pretty good detective work. Thanks.

2Shay said...

At your service, sir.