Friday 18 January 2008

What the...?

This is an advertisement for the Razr 2 cellular telephone by Motorola. If you haven't seen it, the commercial is enclosed for your convenience.



Okay. Now you've seen it. I'm sorry I had to put you through that. I truly am. I saw this on commercial television and I don't get it. I just don't get it and I used to be in advertising. I get that the phone is so thin it's Razr sharp, but I don't get it. Can someone please explain it to me? Maybe I'm not in the demographic that this advertisement is targeting. What is the point of the ad? Every time I've seen this commercial, I have found myself cringing... Someone... anyone... please tell me what is the point of this ad?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, c'mon...hot woman, good looking man, battle it out Matrix-style as they lose more and more of their clothes, all-the-while showing off the different features of the phone...what's there not to get?

I actually thought the comercial wasn't bad. Just severely overplayed.

2Shay said...

Thanks Al, that cleared it up. I guess I'm just not the targeted audience.

One more thing... what about that damn song? What does the song have to do with either the phone or what's going on in the ad?

Anonymous said...

Actually the song goes quite well with the visuals. It starts when he hits play on the phone's built-in mp3 player. Listen to the lyrics and see what's on screen. "Hello little boys, little toys..." (There's your target demo)
"...running down your face..." just as he snaps a shot of the woman's face. "...Gonna move..." as she flips him. I don't know if they put THAT much thought into it, but I thought it worked. Sorry man, I've got to call you on this one. There are many ads out there that make no sense or are asinine, to me, this one isn't one of them.

2Shay said...

That's cool man. Perhaps I was hasty, but I still hate the advertisement.

2Shay said...

Okay, this ad is now making me hate Motorola. I didn't like this ad to begin with, but even the greatest ad ever created can't withstand the way this as is overplayed. I almost dread watching The Comedy Network because I will invariable be subjected to it.