Thursday 3 January 2008

Horrible Impression Of Canadian Immigration

Upon my return to Toronto after my very short trip across the pond, I had to go through an extra checkpoint to explain the brevity of my trip. I don't blame them. When it comes to "terror suspects", I hit the trifecta. I was an unshaven Indian chap with a Kenyan Passport who had been out of the country for less than twenty-fours so I don't begrudge the officials for doing what probably needed to be done.

Here is my qualm with Canadian Immigration officials - there was a Nigerian gentleman ahead of me in line who, for whatever reason, walked past the "Wait Here" sign and one of the officials, in a tone seething with sarcasm told him to wait at the "Wait Here" sign. She went on to say the sign was after all, big enough, to laugher from her co-workers.

After my turn at the counter, being unfamiliar with this area, I asked how to get out of there to which the official replied in a tone I can only describe as snarky to follow the big "Exit" signs that were across the room obstructed by security people loitering right in front of them.

Think, for a moment, someone who has never been to Canada before, is greeted in such a manner. What are the chances they would come back? How many would recommend Canada to their friends and relatives as a friendly nation to visit, or worse still, how many would tell their friends and family not to come to Canada?

I always thought Canada to be better than that. Sure, not all officials are like that, but these people represent Canada, more than that, they represent people's first impression of Canada. There is no excuse for this sort of shoddy attitude.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always the few rotten apples that spoil the bunch. These people should have been reported.

Nhi said...

That's sad.

2Shay said...

You know Al, as soon as I left the airport, I instantly regretted not reporting them. At the time, the potential sound of a rubber glove snapping on encouraged me to make haste toward the nearest exit... once I found it.