Friday 25 May 2007

I'm going to miss Studio 60 - Spoiler Alert... Kinda

Spoilers are only in the first paragraph and are not related to the plot, but the cast.

I just finished watching the latest episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and from beginning to end I either had a smile on my face or I was laughing my ass off. I was so engrossed in one of my favourite shows, which after a long long long hiatus finally aired a new show last night, that I didn't even notice that two of the principle actors (Matthew Perry & Bradley Whitford) weren't even in the show until halfway through, and that another principle actor (Amanda Peet) wasn't in the show (how do I not notice the absence of the sexy Amanda Peet?) till I started typing this.

NBC cancelled the show in it's freshman season citing less than spectacular ratings and a high cost per episode. That coupled with 30 Rock (a show I also enjoy, but pales in comparison to Studio 60) with a very similar premise; one cheaper to produce as well, made axing Studio 60 an easy choice with the execs.

I realise that TV is a business, and the bottom line is paramount, but I think NBC is making a mistake stripping Studio 60 from their 2007 Fall line-up. This show is way ahead of it's time, and never have I ever seen such chemistry between a ensemble cast. While funny as well as dramatic it dared to challenge the status quo engaging in interesting social and political commentary. I believe, if and when this show is released on DVD, the sales will be a true measure and testament of the show's quality, at which point I hope The National Broadcasting Corporation has a good surgeon standing by to remove the bullet from their collective foot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The show is awesome, smart and well written. I'm going to miss it.

It was a mistake to give it the axe.

Nhi said...

I watched the first few episodes and liked it. Aaron Sorkin does good TV. Ever watch Sportsnight? Man.

2Shay said...

Me too Darrell, me too. *Sigh*

I have neither seen nor heard of "Sportsnight", but now, if it's anything like Studio 60, I will have to scour the torrent sites to find it now.

2Shay said...

Question - Did last night's episode seem a little short to anyone else. According to the runtime on the episode I have it was only thirty-six minutes... aren't hour long shows, after removing commercial, about forty-two minutes? Did I get gipped?