Saturday 26 May 2007

Live audiences are as annoying as laugh tracks.

I watch a lot of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report and Real Time with Maher which are all filmed in front of a live studio audience, except Real Time which I believe is broadcast live.

Although I enjoy watching all the above, lately, I've really been put off by the live audiences. It's almost as though these talk shows have their own talking points. When certain phrases or even when certain names are dropped they inevitably illicit applause and/or cheering. It's getting so bad that I find it detracting from my enjoyment of the show.

The audiences are coming off as nothing more than trained monkeys with Pavlovian responses. To paraphrase Bill Maher, say the phrase that makes the hamster hit the pedal - which is ironic since Real Time is the most guilty of this.

The reason I draw issue with this trend is that when there are interviewees with something to say, they resort to political speech type sound bites merely to gain favour with the audiences instead of saying something substantive and concrete. It dilutes what would otherwise be a good interview.

No comments: